Pelkey's Prattle

Writing as fast as I can, except here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Allyn, Washington, United States

Writing: Two coming of age Novels published: Catching the Wind and Runners Book One. Find them at Authorhouse, Amazon, or Barnes and Noble. Find pics at my pic blog spot: http://pelkeyspictures.blogspot.com/

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Blogiversary

Today is the anniversary of my first blog, posted last week today. Now, purists contend that an anniversary can only take place after a year has gone by. However, this is not the case. An anniversary is an annual recurring date of a past event and the celebration of that event. As written in the web dictionary:

Anniversary: The annually recurring date of a past event, especially one of historical, national, or personal importance: a wedding anniversary; the anniversary of the founding of Rome.
A celebration commemorating such a date.

Christmas is the anniversary of Christ's birth. However, Christmas day is not likely to have been the actual birth date. Doesn't keep it from being an anniversary.

So, with that in mind, I'm celebrating the anniversary of my blogging, the first celebration taking place one week after.

Of course this means next year, should I still be blogging, I would have to wait a week. But, I'm not taking any chances and am getting at least one anniversary in.

Reflecting on blogging brings to mind rules.

The first rule of blogging is to blog. You have to actually do it. Where I work, some of my staff are like running a race. Ready, set, work. Only, if they can manage two out of three, they think it is sufficient for their pay. Hey, I got up, I showed up, what more do you expect? All of those people who have signed up to blog, go to their site, and still think they are blogging without posting anything, well, they are breaking the first rule of blogging.

However...
Blogging isn't an occupation, but a hobby.
Therefore,

The second rule of blogging is not to blog. This means feeling OK about yourself if you don't blog every day. One problem with this is the followship, those who faithfully read your blog every single day, whether they blog themselves or even whether they post. Being consistent would help with the second rule, in that if you don't blog every day, be consistent about when you do blog.

I'm not blogging on Friday. Too tired from five slogs to work at 6:30 in the morning, sitting in traffic lines, sitting in work lines, sitting in front of an unfriendly computer with 10-20 messages an hour all requiring my attention, and actual work to be done in between. I went to an hour meeting and had 59 messages waiting when I came out. And I wonder who invented this e-mail thing?

I'm not blogging on Sunday either. So there.

The third rule of blogging is reinforcement of other bloggers. This means reading their blog and, yes, it means posting. Even if it is just hi. Bloggers are people, and people need the acknowledgement that other people care, even if it is only enough to post a raspberry comment. Yes, checking the hits counts, but hitting is just like the ready set thing. In the third rule of blogging, the work part, posting, is a necessity. Not for everything you read. But, just once in a while, for no reason whatsoever, a hi, or even a raspberry, :)- or whatever you use, works wonders.

The fourth rule of blogging? Ignore the first three if you feel like it. Blogging really has no rules.

And to think I learned all this after a single week. What will next week bring?

1 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

Hey, your blogging (and slacking rules) just reminded me that I meant to start a tradition of "apology of the week." I figured that way, if I was tapped out for ideas over the weekend, I could always pony up some lame apology someone had made during the week. Damn. Now, I've already screwed up my weekend "theme."

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home