Pelkey's Prattle

Writing as fast as I can, except here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Allyn, Washington, United States

Writing: Two coming of age Novels published: Catching the Wind and Runners Book One. Find them at Authorhouse, Amazon, or Barnes and Noble. Find pics at my pic blog spot: http://pelkeyspictures.blogspot.com/

Sunday, May 15, 2005

It's all in the pan

I am a lousy cook, or was anyway. Probably still am when compared to semi-bald guys like Emirl. But, I'm getting better in my old age. While shopping at Safeway last month, I stumbled onto a pan sale thing, with the feature pan of the week. As I'm not crazy about my pans, and the most important one lost its handle in the early 80's, I decided to buy a new one, or two. Castilon. The good thing about the pan was the cooking instructions on the bottom. Like greasing it for instance.

So, what to cook in my new pan? Tried my egg and cheese scrambled/omlet (almost) thing. I knew something was different when the eggs started to firm up the second they hit the pan. No medal utinsuls allowed, so I tried a rubber spatula, now a crooked rubber blog spatula. So, don't hold it too long in one spot. Anyway, the eggs came out better, didn't even have to flip them around, and the cheese, butter, and a couple of spices mixed together really nice.

Enboldened with my success of the past two or three weeks, yesterday I tackled a steak I got in a two for one sale at Safeway. Rancher's delight or something like that. Rancher's Roost? Whatever. Trying to make like the semi bald guy, I put a little Lowery's sauce on it, some pepper (did remember to use a touch of Wesson to moisten the pan first) and hoped for the best. Found a lid from another fry pan to see if covering mattered. Anyway, the thing cooked up in five-six minutes, with me flipping it with my trusty blog spatula only about five or ten times. So, done and ready to eat with my microwave spud and ready to mix salad (romaine, eggs, olivies, parmasion ((so I can't spell)) cheese, crutons, Italian dressing) .

Sunk my teeth into the first bite and almost fainted. IT WAS SO GOOD! Like the steak you get at some place with a second mortgage form pre-filled and waiting for you when you pay. Only even better because I cooked it.

I did it. I cooked something so good I'm not afraid to blog about it. Take that, bald guy, Martha Stewart (does she cook or just make doilies?), and all of those snottly, expensive chiefs. For one day, one bite anyway, I am just as good as you are.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Oh my goodness, this was so funny! Made me laugh out loud a couple of times! And, I loved the part that it came out wonderful! Success is sweet!

And yes, Martha Stewart cooks...

6:45 AM  
Blogger Randy said...

I forgot to leave a comment here the other day. I say you've missed your calling. You could be the Dave Barry of the Pacific Northwest.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home