Pelkey's Prattle

Writing as fast as I can, except here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Allyn, Washington, United States

Writing: Two coming of age Novels published: Catching the Wind and Runners Book One. Find them at Authorhouse, Amazon, or Barnes and Noble. Find pics at my pic blog spot: http://pelkeyspictures.blogspot.com/

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Coyotes

Coyotes have roamed the neighborhood here for the past 20 years. One would do a howl and growl thing about once a month, not necessarily with the moon, but not often and usually alone. Until this week.

Suddenly, the golf course over the back fence has become coyote central. They are a they now, not a single male, they are often, and they are bold. Just ask the cat, who came in last night looking just a little bit frazzled, and she didn't even leave the yard. I could hear scraping on the back fence, and see groups of yellow eyes.

For some reason, unknown, but for which I'm thankful, the Poms, 100% barking fools, don't bark. Not even a low growl. These guys will bark if I accidently scrape the wall while walking down the hall or if anyone moves too fast in their presence. They do group howls just for the sake of making noise, without any reason whatsoever. But, last night, through an hour of coyote congregation, not nary a note.

Maybe they realize to a coyote they are a happy meal. Or maybe they have heard the coyotes every night all their lives and don't think anything of it. Who knows? They never bark when the furnace comes on, but do when the ice maker drops the ice.

Right now they are in the lay around me while I'm on the computer sleep mode. So, I don't move fast or scrape walls.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

We have coyotes here, year-round. They are very agressive, seemingly out at all hours of the day, not just night.

One thing we didn't know until my dad's last little dog almost became an early morning snack (she survived...) was that they can jump fences and heights of over 20 feet high. I guarantee you (and I doubt Washington coyots are any different than California ones...) they know about every single one of your little guys, know their habits, know where the best spots are in your yard to make a move...

I assume you are not too threatened by the wildfires up there?

8:35 AM  
Blogger Randy said...

Make sure they don't go outside!! Even at dusk!!!! Remember, a coyote got my little Kody-boy. And Brooke's right. They leap tall buildings in a single bound without even a run-up, the little bastards.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home