Pelkey's Prattle

Writing as fast as I can, except here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Allyn, Washington, United States

Writing: Two coming of age Novels published: Catching the Wind and Runners Book One. Find them at Authorhouse, Amazon, or Barnes and Noble. Find pics at my pic blog spot: http://pelkeyspictures.blogspot.com/

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Come Saturday Morning

In 1969 or so, this song played a role in my life. The Sterile Cuckoo played a college romance and had lots of green trees and the loving? couple on short excursions. As we were too poor to do anything else, and gas was 20 cents a gallon, we drove throughout western Washington on day trips singing this song.

The girl was agressive and the guy was just hanging on to life, trying to fit in. In the end, he finally participates in a single decision, to get rid of her. Sadly the female lead went on to abuse millions more people, with her singing and her relationships. The male lead did what he did in the movie, disappeared into the sunset.

It's 36 years since the movie and I haven't got much past just hanging on to life, trying to fit in. However, even this much later in life, I still have a moment or two feeling OK about that movie. Although I've moved on and it's been years since I've been on a day trip along a country road looking at cows with no place in mind to go, I still remember, long after Saturday's gone. And I admit I haven't traveled for miles on my Saturday smiles, but when the sun pops out from behind the clouds on a Saturday morning, and the temperature passes 50 degrees for a minute, the memory of the good in the movie returns and the life I lived when I was too poor to do anything that cost money. It is a nice, soft, pleasent memory and I find myself whistling the song.

1 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

Nice. I'm proud to have your link of my blog. Here's to more readers...

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home