Pelkey's Prattle

Writing as fast as I can, except here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Allyn, Washington, United States

Writing: Two coming of age Novels published: Catching the Wind and Runners Book One. Find them at Authorhouse, Amazon, or Barnes and Noble. Find pics at my pic blog spot: http://pelkeyspictures.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

I won

It's only March Madness, and no money was involved, but winning is still neat. I was in two pools, one run by my son and his basketball crazy friends, and the other at the office, where I have played for 20 years most unsuccessfully. I won both because NC beat Ill.

I'm not a college basketball fan, and didn't watch a single game before the picks. Nor did I even look at the AP poll. I did read a sports commentary about the champs, when I was trying to decide between Illinois and North Carolina. The commentator picked Illinois, so I picked North Carolina. The rest I just picked to pick somebody. Except Louisville. They won their championship, and with four losses, managed a number 4 seed. The dogzies were number 1 with a lesser record. Well, I decided that must really tick them off and picked them for a final four, which they reached.

Actually could have done better. Had a hunch about Wis-Mil, Kansas losing, and Villinova, but chicked out on following hunches. But, it didn't matter.

On the national (Yahoo) scale, I finished with 144 points, in the 98% percentile, in the top 15,000 of 716,000 or so. Still, one guy only had six misses, and managed 177 of 192 points.

Is it luck? Duh. In 20 years, even a monkey can pull it off. Maybe even twice.

2 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

Wow, I'm extremely impressed (although I didn't watch a game and didn't care who won) I used to love March Madness.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Hi John!
Had to smile at your comment that after 20 years the odds were bound to be with you!
We don't do an MM pool at my office, but we are faithful fans of the Football Pool.
Lady Luck was sitting in my office all last season...all you have to do is pick the winners of the games each week and for Monday's also pick the total score.
I "won" an astounding 6 weeks...and placed second a bunch of times. I actually had "hard-core" game followers coming to my office to ask me who I liked! Imagine!
Have to say...winning sports pools is quite a rush!

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home