Pelkey's Prattle

Writing as fast as I can, except here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Allyn, Washington, United States

Writing: Two coming of age Novels published: Catching the Wind and Runners Book One. Find them at Authorhouse, Amazon, or Barnes and Noble. Find pics at my pic blog spot: http://pelkeyspictures.blogspot.com/

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Loren and Bobbi


Loren and Bobbi

Thirty-nine years ago as a senior in high school, my good bud Peggy talked me into a spring hike in the Olympic Mountains with her church youth group. Two members of the group were in choir with me, Loren, who sat next to me in the tenor section, and Bobbi, who played the piano. We expected a walk in the park, and were completely unprepared for the snow still piled everywhere.

Loren had a bit of a crush on Bobbi, the principal's daughter, and off limits for guys with date stuff (necking to be specific) on their minds. She was a very sweet girl, and I could understand Loren's interest.

Well, as the photo depicts, the hike went badly slogging through the snow and we gave up. I captured them together at the turn around point, about half way to our destination, Loren struggling in the snow while trying to pose next to Bobbi, watching him.

I graduated a few months later and never saw Loren again. But, I still remember him as being a really nice guy. So much so that he is included in my book Runners, as the guy Jon Perone sits next to in choir, along with his crush on Jenny, the piano player. The characters are not close to being the same people, but would not exist if not for Loren and Bobbi

Yesterday, I read Loren's obiturary at 54. So, Loren, although I haven't seen you in 39 years and probably never would had you continued, this is my farewell to you. As Mr. Hope said for us all, thanks for the memories.

And, as a reminder to myself, life isn't long enough. Don't let go of those really nice people in your life. Better to capture them on a snow day in spring than in a farewell blog.

2 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

What a lovely tribute. So well done, I had to read it twice.

Over the weekend, I heard about the death of someone I'd known only socially and hadn't seen in about three years. I received "the call" and was asked to spread the word. The group I spread it to debated going to the funeral and decided not to for various reasons...I heard later only 12 people showed up (including his still-living parents, his daughter, and the daughter's husband). This may sound awful, but none of us were surprised. He was that kind of person. I knew his bitter, angry, negative outside was a shell to hide something human on the inside but, for whatever reasons, he wasn't able to drop that barrier. He died alone and hardly anyone came to his funeral. Lots of lessons there.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

It's always such a jolt to see that someone we knew has passed away...we still feel invincible, I guess. And you are right...it's also a reminder that life is short, precarious, and oh so precious...

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home