Pelkey's Prattle

Writing as fast as I can, except here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Allyn, Washington, United States

Writing: Two coming of age Novels published: Catching the Wind and Runners Book One. Find them at Authorhouse, Amazon, or Barnes and Noble. Find pics at my pic blog spot: http://pelkeyspictures.blogspot.com/

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Road Rage part two

Driving into an exit ramp behind a bunch of cars, with no one behind me for a half mile, I watch a nice lady in a blue car come flying in the second lane. At first I thought she was just going by, but suddenly she puts her blinker on. Well, there's plenty of room behind me. But, she is going too fast, or more important to her, we are going too slow. She passes me and tries to cut in front of the car in front of me, but it is an old pickup truck and the driver ignores her. Desperate, or something, she slams on her brakes and tries to cut in front of me, but is now going too slow and ends up trying to cut into me. I swerve and speed up a little, and her momentum carries her (gasp) behind me. Now it is honk and flashing lights time. Somehow, cars in the second lane wishing to exit have the right away over cars in the exit lane.

Not much I can do about it, but the pickup driver suddenly forgets where his gas petal is and we coast all the way to the stop sign. He goes right into the right lane, I go right into the left lane, and she goes flying by me on the right, gets right up on the pickup's bumper, flashes her lights and honks at him. Then she cuts in front of me, but since I'm making a left turn, it is a useless gesture. The pickup driver shares his IQ with her, makes a right turn and leaves her in the midde of the street alone, honking at no one.

For some people causing and being in road rage seems to be an addiction. Had she been in the proper lane and willing to wait about five seconds, she would have saved herself and us the wear and tear on our lives, and due to the pickup coasting for about a quarter mile, been actually ahead. The worst part, she probably went to work complaining about being late because of the crapy other drivers, who didn't see her coming and park and bow as she went by. She wasn't in an SUV, just a little blue Toyota, but I can see it coming.

This is the second time in a week I have been between a road rager and a victim. It isn't making my life any happier.

2 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

As you know from having read my blog the other day, I'm right there with you on this road rage thing. I just don't understand why people are in such a RUSH...especially because 99% of the time, their actions get them to their destination...what, maybe 30 seconds later?? A minute at most? Last weekend I was driving my parents in their car on a long and windy backroads highway where a lot of construction was going on. We came to the first of what I called porta-signals (temporary synchronized lights which turned it into a one-way road). We were first at the light, but a couple motorcycles came roaring up beside us so they could get a jump on it. Well, for about ten miles (and at about 5 more of these lights) we caught up to them every time. The next day I heard a motorcyclist had been killed along that stretch right around the time we were on it. Not one of the ones we were playing tag with, but still...

9:14 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Driving these days has become much more a chore than a joy. Especially when one has a long commute as both you and I do, it is sooooo stressful...

I can remember the days...not that long ago even...when the commute was the time when you geared up for the job on the way to the office, and wound down from it on the way home. That way you could easily separate the office from the home.

Not anymore...now it takes time just to recuperate from the drive.

This is progress??

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home