Pelkey's Prattle

Writing as fast as I can, except here.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Allyn, Washington, United States

Writing: Two coming of age Novels published: Catching the Wind and Runners Book One. Find them at Authorhouse, Amazon, or Barnes and Noble. Find pics at my pic blog spot: http://pelkeyspictures.blogspot.com/

Monday, May 01, 2006

Bush vs. Vietnam

I know for the military and veterans (active ones anyway) Bush was a breath of fresh air after Clinton, but I'm not able to equate what is happening in Iraq as being the right thing. Having been in Vietnam, the parallel is too close. We can't turn other cultures into ourselves with might.

If I were an Iraqi, and had only rocks to throw, I would throw them until the last American left. Imagine Iraq conquering us and demanding we embrace their culture. It isn't as much right vs. wrong, as many proclaim, it is us against them. And, as with Vietnam, us don't always win with might.

But, also as with Vietnam, or Japan, or Germany, or England 200 years ago, what is war today can be something else later. As what happened in Vietnam, for us to succeed in Iraq, I think we need to leave town first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home